Use of free CAD software for 3D printing individualised face masks based on face scans
Within the limitations of this technical report, the present findings suggest that customized 3D-printed face masks with enhanced adaptation can be digitally designed using face scans and free CAD software.
Smoking behaviour and attitudes to periodontal health and quit smoking in patients with periodontal disease
Elizabeth Martinelli researched this study into the health beliefs and attitudes to quitting smoking in periodontal patients in relation to the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) of behaviour change, willingness to have smoking cessation provided together with periodontal treatment.
This study concluded that a large proportion of periodontal patient smokers may be considering quitting, and nearly half requested provision of smoking cessation intervention in conjunction with periodontal treatment.
Predicting the choice of anaesthesia for third molar surgery – guideline or the easy-line?
Our colleague Stephanie Sammut has published the results of her research in the British Dental Journal. Stephanie’s research has been done at the Edinburgh Dental Institute as part of her specialist training in Oral Surgery.
The paper shows that a maxillofacial environment is more likely to lead to the prescription of general anaesthetic for third molar removal than a pure oral surgery clinic. It promotes risk reduction by discouraging the use of general anaesthesia for third molar surgery and recognises that choice of anaesthesia is dependent on multiple factors. Stephanie and her co-authors also highlight IV sedation as a useful and safe modality for anxiety management.
Articles by Dr Edward Sammut
for Private Dentistry
for Dentist Tubules
Articles by Dr Maria Luisa Gainza
- Validation of microRNA expression profile in Oral Lichenoid Disease through cytological samples
- Undergraduate students’ evaluation and reflections on a gerodontology programme
- The role of microRNAs in oral lichenoid disorders. Systematic review
- Toll-like receptor 2 rs4696480 polymorphism and risk of oral cancer and oral potentially malignant disorder
- Histopathological characterization of the oral lichenoid disease subtypes and the relation with the clinical data
- Assessment of CD-105 as an Angiogenic Modulator in Odontogenic Myxomas and Dental Follicles
- Ancient Schwannoma of the hard palate. An uncommon case report and review
- Production of carcinogenic acetaldehyde by Candida albicans from patients with potentially malignant oral mucosal disorders
- Overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 as a biomarker in different subtypes of the oral lichenoid disease
- Oral lichenoid disease as a premalignant condition: the controversies and the unknown